Apple’s iOS platform has a ton of great games. You might not consider picking the iPhone up as a serious gaming device, simply because the touchscreen isn’t a very tactile way to play mobile games. The Backbone One turns your iPhone into a real gaming platform, allowing you to play from Apple’s vast Arcade library as well as remote playing your Xbox or PlayStation console.
Why do I need this?
Attaching the Backbone One is as simple as sliding the controller ends to the side, lining up your iPhone’s lightning port with the connector and then sliding the controller back in place.
It instantly makes your iPhone look like a Switch as the controller layout is identical to Nintendo’s popular console.
There’s a dedicated Backbone app you can pair and launch with the controller. It allows you to record gameplay footage as well as see what games your friends are playing (and immediately join them).
The device contains a traditional 3.5mm headphone jack (yay, no Apple dongles!) as well as a port for passthrough-charging so that you don’t have to take off the Backbone just to charge your phone.
Which games can I play with backbone
There are already over a thousand iOS games that support controllers like the Backbone. You can find some of your favorite iOS titles such as Call of Duty: Mobile, Oceanhorn 2, Brawlhalla, Minecraft and more. Check out the full overview on the Backbone website.
Next to the native iOS games, the Backbone supports various other gaming platforms that are playable on your phone. You can use it with PS Remote Play, Xbox Game Pass and even Stadia.
- Collapsible and compact design
- Lowest latency connection
- Play games that support controllers
- Capture clips and screenshots
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Pass-through charging
Where can I buy the Backbone One?
The Backbone One can be ordered on its official website or Amazon via the links below. Note that it’s only available for iPhone at this moment. You’ll receive 3 Months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate when you’re a new member with your Backbone One purchase (at the time of writing)
1 used from $98.99
- PLAY ANY CONTROLLER SUPPORTED GAMES: Responsive analog triggers, tactile buttons, and clickable thumbsticks for the ultimate mobile gaming experience
- LOWEST LATENCY, PASS-THROUGH CHARGING & 3.5MM HEADSET JACK: Connects to your iPhone's Lightning port for ultra-responsive gameplay. Charge and use your favorite headset while you play
- WORKS WITH ANY IPHONE: Compatible with the latest iPhones. Adapter included for better experience on iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max
A cheaper alternative (including Android support)
With the Backbone One being almost a hundred bucks, we can understand if it’s not a fit for your budget.
There are cheaper alternatives available on Amazon. If you want to have one that’s close to the Backbone One’s Nintendo Switch design (but not as fancy), check out the GameSir X2, which also fits Android phones next to your iPhone.
- 【Cloud Gaming&Native Gaming】GameSir X2 is compatible with most cloud gaming platforms include Xbox/Shadow Cloud Gaming, Google Stadia, and Vortex etc. This android controller also support native games include: Fortnite, Modern Combat 5, Implosion and More.
- 【Durable Stretch Design】The stretch of mobile game controller allows you to fit a mobile phone with a maximum length of 167 mm, maximum thickness of 1 cm. The internal spring is durable and can withstand long-term expansion and countless stretches.