We know first-hand how inconvenient a DSLR cam can be for professional webcam shots. On the other hand, modern day webcams have difficulties providing professional video in every circumstance. The Opal C1 webcam promises to solve this issue. With the C1 you’ll get a DSLR-grade video image, but with the plug-and-play options of a cheaper webcam.
What is the Opal C1?
A few ex-designers from Apple and Beats decided to take matters into their own hands when they saw this gap in the webcam market. The result is a wonderfully designed webcam, more pretty than anything out there currently.
The C1 houses a ƒ1.8, six-element, glass lens which brings in 2.4x more light than any other webcam. The Sony sensor allows you to shoot video in 4K, like the flagship phone in your pocket. The onboard processor is able to provide you smooth auto-focus and background blurring, which you can adjust in the simple Opal C1 app on your Mac.
Instead of a single microphone, the C1 contains a so-called MicMesh, which is an array of beamforming microphones that find and focus on the sound of your voice. Onboard noise cancellation ensures your target audio is captured clearly, without unwanted artifacts.
The Opal C1 measures 1.97 x 3.07 x 1.81 inches, which is a bit on the heavier size for a webcam, but still half the size of a traditional DSLR.
- 4K + 1080p video
- Up to 60 FPS
- ƒ1.8 aperture lens
- Omni-directional microphones with noise cancellation
- Dedicated Mac app for Bokeh, Touch-up and color adjustment
Where can I buy the Opal C1?
At the time of writing the Opal C1 Webcam is available by invite order only. You can get one in black or white for about 300 bucks, via the link below. While the app is dedicated to Mac only, the camera will work for both Windows and Mac.
A cheaper alternative
The Opal C1 isn’t the only camera of its kind. The professional 4K webcam market sees some competition from the likes of Razer, Elgator and Logitech.
Our choice for an Opal C1 alternative is the Logitech Brio 4K webcam. It’s about half the price and provides the best specs and video quality on the market right now.
9 used from $142.99
- Spectacular video quality: A premium glass lens, 4k image sensor, high dynamic range (Hdr), and autofocus deliver beautiful, true to life video
- Look great in any light: Right light 3 automatically adjusts exposure and contrast to compensate for glare and backlighting. Supports multiple connection types, including USB 2.0 type a and USB 3.0 type a and C connections
- 4k streaming and recording windows: Works with camera for windows 10, xsplit, obs. Mac: Works with swift capture. Windows hello certified: Powered by both optical and infrared sensors, BRIO delivers fast and secure facial recognition for windows hello. No need to type a password for windows 10: Simply look into BRIO’s lens to login