In advance of NAMM 2019 (the yearly music gear lust fest) Korg announced the perfect balance between portability and usefulness. The Korg Volca Drum is looking to be a fun and immediate portable drum machine. Less of a toy, this time around it’s a Volca you can actually put to good use in music production and live performance.
What’s the Volca Drum?
The Volca Drum is a digital percussion synthesizer allowing you to sequence a rhythm using the signature sixteen steps on the machine. It’s not built as a run-of-the-mill drum machine with the same ol’ 808 kick and clap in a new jacket. No, with the Volca Drum can get adventurous and get interesting moving sounds and poly-rhythms. Good for endless knob tweaking.
Volca Drum Features
- 10 hours on 6x AA batteries
- 6-voice polyphony
- 16 steps
- Newly Developed DSP Engine
- Waveguide Resonator Adds Rich Resonances
- An Evolved volca Sequencer
- 3.5″ Headphone output
- MIDI IN
No music gear post would be complete without a deep dive video by musician YouTuber Cuckoo.
Pricing and availability
The Korg Volca Drum is available from Amazon via the link below.
- The KORG volca drum is a compact Digital percussion synth with assignable 6-part x 2-layer stucture and drum sounds created by KORG's new DSP analogue modelling engine
- The assignable 16 x 6 part kits (plus 10 preloaded kits) gives you complete freedom to assign sounds plus use the waveguide resonator effect settings individualyl or simulaneously
- For each layer you have 5 types of oscillator waveforms and 3 types of Pitch Modulation and amp EG to play with giving a vast array of sounds at your finger tips
Check out our favorite music gadgets for musicians here!