In advance of NAMM 2019 (the yearly music gear lust fest) Korg announced the perfect balance between portability and usefulness. The Korg Volca Drum is looking to be a fun and immediate portable drum machine. Less of a toy, this time around it’s a Volca you can actually put to good use in music production and live performance.
What’s the Volca Drum?
The Volca Drum is a digital percussion synthesizer allowing you to sequence a rhythm using the signature sixteen steps on the machine. It’s not built as a run-of-the-mill drum machine with the same ol’ 808 kick and clap in a new jacket. No, with the Volca Drum can get adventurous and get interesting moving sounds and poly-rhythms. Good for endless knob tweaking.
Volca Drum Features
- 10 hours on 6x AA batteries
- 6-voice polyphony
- 16 steps
- Newly Developed DSP Engine
- Waveguide Resonator Adds Rich Resonances
- An Evolved volca Sequencer
- 3.5″ Headphone output
- MIDI IN
No music gear post would be complete without a deep dive video by musician YouTuber Cuckoo.
Pricing and availability
The Korg Volca Drum is available from Amazon via the link below.
1 used from $156.99
- Digital percussion synth with a 6-part x 2-layer structure
- Distinctive sound from a newly developed DSP engine
- Waveguide resonator adds rich resonances
- 16-step sequencer with a wide range of parameter automation
- Slice function finely divides a step to allow drum-rolls
- Two randomize functions expand your inspiration
Check out our favorite music gadgets for musicians here!