Modal CRAFT Synth 2.0
Synth- and music gadget geeks need to act fast. The Modal CRAFT Synth 2.0 is almost nearing the end of its Kickstarter campaign. This tiny synthesizer is an advanced little machine that runs on batteries or USB power and fits perfectly in your portable music making rig.
What is the Modal CRAFT Synth?
Made by synth-maker Modal Electronics Limited from the UK, the CRAFT Synth 2.0 is the successor to an earlier Kickstarter campaign (called the SKULPT synth). Three months after that campaign ended the devices were shipped to backers.
These are the specs for the CRAFT Synth 2.0
- Monophonic wavetable synthesiser
- 8 oscillators in total with 2 selectable waveforms and mixer stage
- 40 unique waveforms available split into 8 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets
- VA, digital and generative waves are available along with selections from the Modal 002
- Process and cross modulate waveforms with 1 of 16 oscillator modifiers including Frequency / Phase Modulation, Hard / Window Sync, Ring / Amp Modulation, Derez / Bitcrush, Wavefolders and Waveshapers – Oscillator modifiers are applied to Wave 1. In some cases, such as for FM or AM, Wave 2 is used as the modulating signal for Wave 1
- Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 8 oscillators for a huge sound
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs
- 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources, each source can have 1 destination. (LFO1, LFO2 and MOD-EG assignable from CRAFTsynth, Velo, Note, ModW, AftT and Expression assignable from MODALapp)
- Program and transpose patterns with the built in sequenced arpeggiator
- 2-pole resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
- Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
- 64 preset storage locations
- 8 key touch MIDI keyboard with 8 custom scales and root note selection
- MIDI DIN in and out
- Analogue clock sync in and out (configured to the KORG / Teenage Engineering specification)
- Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Headphone and line output Powered by USB or 3 x AA batteries
- Optional software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- Portable and compact design
- Dimensions: 150mm x 135mm x 68mm (6”x5 1/2”x 3”)
Check out the video below which runs through the patches of the portable synth:
Where can I buy the Modal CRAFT Synth 2.0?
If you fund this campaign now your CRAFT is scheduled to ship in April 2019. For around a hundred pounds (~125 USD) you can own one of these neat devices.